Sunday, February 1, 2009

October... November... FEBRUARY???

Where does the time go?? Hubby decided that being stuck in a little trailer for days on end in the rain over Halloween did NOT sound like fun, so he opted to stay home and be "productive", which meant I had the trailer to myself! Lots of rain, a daily nap, five books read in four days, lots of hungry squirrels fed… well they acted hungry, even though they all looked plump and shiny!

The rain eased up enough for all the trick-or-treaters in the campground to make their rounds – and it occurred to me - you don’t even see that in most neighborhoods anymore – but that just goes to show how campers are all family. My fake rubber cat was a real hit with visiting dogs! Some barked, some growled, and one marched right around the table to sniff the “information” end - it was pretty funny. Early that morning I had raced back down to Bakersfield to oversee the relocation of my horse from the facility where his level of care and attention had been slowly going downhill. He now resides at a thoroughbred breeding and training facility here in Tehachapi – I am the ONLY boarder, because they are not a boarding stable, but I was desperate and my farrier made the contact and provided references on both sides. It is an immaculate and very well run facility and I sleep better at night knowing he gets the same level of care as all of their horses. As it should be.

Our November trip, again to the Kern River, was wonderful. Good food and good friends – I can’t think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving. Those of us that went fly fishing went for the entire day, and that’s a long day of fishing in all that icy water – it was nearly dark when we headed out of the river. Caught just a couple, one rainbow and one adorable little native, enjoyed every minute of it but could not wait to fall into bed that night!

Miss Libby is very good at this whole camping thing... but I think we need a bigger bed!


December is just kind of a blur, and for that matter so is January even though it only ended uhhhh, yesterday? My horse move paid off last week – the old guy does not drink enough water when it gets really cold. He began to colic, and then started to roll to ease the pain. Well, with all the melting snow on the ground, he wound up sopping wet and started to go into hypothermia, but, they were on it quickly and by the time I got the call and raced out there, the vet was there, my horse was totally looped on several drugs, they had given him a nice hot bath, and he looked ready for a long nap! Everything was fine, but it did mean I was running back and forth for half the night washing and drying a rotating pile of five sopping wet horse blankets in order to get him dry. You don’t even want to know what the inside of our washer and dryer looked like.

No comments: