Sunday, June 14, 2009

Turtle Update

Well, I came to a decision about my adorable turtle – you know, the “free” pet that cost a small fortune in “habitat development”? I called the California Living Museum Zoo down in Bakersfield, and after a very brief and painless detour through the red tape of the California Department of Fish and Game, she is now in quarantine for about a month at the zoo. Once she gets a clean bill of health, she’ll move into this lovely pond (shown above behind the fence to the right of the Reptile House) with another Western Pond Turtle, a big White Pelican named Betty, a Canadian Goose and some sort of duck. Because she is a protected species, DFG had to approve her being “re-homed” at a licensed facility, and thankfully, due to her tameness, they had to make the determination that she could not be returned to the wild. I am so thrilled she gets to live out her many remaining years being pampered in this wonderful habitat! Also quite thrilled to have all that space back in our bedroom and will be even more thrilled when I unload all the pumps, filters, lights, heaters, chemicals, stock tanks, etc. I will, however, greatly miss her adorable face – she would watch me from her island every morning as I stumbled around in search of coffee, my glasses, and whatever I thought I was going to wear that day. If she saw ANYONE else, she would dive off her island and disappear beneath the water and floating plants. I’m sure my special status was because I was “the lady with the food!” So now I can go visit her at the zoo whenever I am in Bakersfield! Very sad to goodbye, but what a truly happy ending! Oh, she'll be dining and shrimp and trout... wonder if I could join her for dinner one night!! YUM!

No comments: