Monday, June 8, 2009

Summer Recipe!

Filling the crust...

Adding the cheesy topping...

Right out of the oven!!
Kaarin's hubby Jim is one of those genius gardeners who turns out bushel upon bushel of the yummiest goodies, which means we periodically receive these indescribably wonderful "care packages". Lately we've received a lot of tender little squashes, which I love no matter how you prepare them, but I ran across this recipe and, oh, is it good!

SUMMER SQUASH PIE
1 unbaked 9” pastry shell
1 egg lightly beaten
2½ cups sliced zucchini (¼” slice)
2½ cups sliced yellow squash (¼” slice)
1 tsp canola oil (I use olive oil)
½ tsp salt
¼ - ½ tsp ground thyme
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp pepper
2 large tomatoes, sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
(I use the mozzarella)
¾ cup mayonnaise
(reduced or low fat NOT recommended)

Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy duty foil. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes. Remove foil; brush lightly with egg. Bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack; reduce heat to 350.

In a large nonstick skillet, sauté zucchini and yellow squash in oil for 10 minutes or until very tender. Sprinkle with seasonings; spoon into pastry shell. Top with tomatoes. Combine the cheese and mayonnaise; spread over the top.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers.

LEFTOVERS? Who are they kidding???

I have to add, I have nearly always made my own pie crust from scratch because I think those rolled refrigerated and/or frozen ones are NASTY and they are way too SALTY, but Marie Callender’s frozen pie shells are really quite good and I keep them on hand now! Woohoo!

I am seriously considering a plan for Kaarin to place a bag (box?) of veggies on the county's "Dial-A-Ride" bus system each week - of course the box would have to be labeled something scary like "medical waste" so that it wouldn't arrive here empty! This could work...

No comments: